Giants minor league catcher Eliezer Alfonso was suspended for 50 games due to failing a Major League Baseball drug test.

How F*#^kin dumb do you have to be to fail a PED's (performance enhancing drug) test, this late in the game? Its understandable if this was the first wave of testing, and the guy thought he might be able to scoot by....

But now? After all that's gone on around the steroid controversy? Clemens, in front of Congress? Canseco's incredibly shrinking balls? Did this guy not turn on the TV during the offseason?

Does his personal life coach's name rhyme with Barle Dove? (Karl Rove, for all the folks who have a hard time rhyming).

Here's an excerpt from the AP release concerning Alfonzo's suspension:

SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco Giants minor-league catcher Eliezer Alfonzo was suspended 50 games Wednesday for testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, the first player penalized this year under Major League Baseball's drug program.

Alfonzo is on San Francisco's 40-man roster so he falls under the major-league program even though he has played all season at Triple-A Fresno.

"I made a mistake, and I want to apologize to my family, my teammates, the fans and the Giants organization," Alfonzo said in a statement released by the team. "I know what I did was wrong, and now I will pay the penalty. As a father, I now have to look my children in the eye and explain to them that I have made a big mistake, one, unfortunately, that they are also going to have to deal with, as well as me."

The 29-year-old Venezuelan was optioned to Fresno just before Opening Day and is batting .306 with three homers and 14 RBIs in 16 games. The suspension will start Thursday, and Alfonzo will be eligible to return to play June 27, assuming there are no postponements.

He played 113 games with the Giants in the 2006 and 2007 seasons, batting .263 with 13 homers and 45 RBIs.

The Giants said in a statement they were also disappointed to learn about the positive test and that they support baseball's testing program. Alfonzo is the first Giants player to be suspended under the major-league drug program that first started suspensions in 2004.